Monday, September 11, 2006

remembering 9/11


i was at deutsche's wake during that time when people started talking about text messages saying that an airplane crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. yeah right.
but by the time i got home, everyone was already glued to CNN watching as a myriad of horrendous events unfolded.

fast forward to May 2006.

I am walking along Wall Street in New York's financial district, trying to locate the BULL when my uncle asks me what else I want to do and I tell him-- I want to go to GROUND ZERO!
With a bit of reluctance, he accompanies me and my friend, Lovine to the site, showing us the places where he used to work in the area as an accountant.






We finally come to a halt, and I get this creepy, eerie, strange feeling. We were at the site.


I try to take some pictures. This definitely wasn't going to be a camwhore moment. Who in his right mind would want to have a picture taken in front of ground zero smiling?! Tourists listening to those giving little tidbits about how the incident happened, others staring into the big space in front of them, others observing the massive extent of the damage, others offering flowers and saying prayers for the heroes of 9/11.

























I try to find my uncle and I get this very very guilty feeling when I saw him. One of his neighbors was among those who died. He was a fire fighter, a hero.

Though he lives on the East village and could always head downtown, he chose not to. Until that day I wanted to. Oh the tourist in me!

I heart New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home